Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cameron’s Soap in Australia


My name is Sheila and I have known the wonderful Cameron for several years now. For the past two years, I was his consultant through the Provincial Outreach Program for Students with Deafblindness. Now that he has graduated from high school and has transitioned into adult services, I too am transitioning - from consultant to friend. I am always awe-inspired by Cameron: by his accomplishments and by his strength. He communicates very clearly what he likes and dislikes. I watched this with fascination at a family retreat/camp this summer, as Cameron became extremely interested in a fantastic homemade instrument made out of PVC tubing. He communicated without question that his new found object of great intrigue and interest was his and it was going with him. The music facilitator could clearly see what Cameron was communicating, and indeed very kindly gave it to him.
I have always been very interested in and inspired by what Cameron and his Intervenors make together: particularily dog biscuits and soap. So when I knew for certain that I was going to Australia this past September to attend an international conference on deafblindness, I also knew for sure that I would be taking some of Cameron’s soap with me. One of the items that Cameron creates is a soap in the shape of a hand. This brings tears every time I look at it, as hands have so much significance and meaning to a person who is deafblind. I wanted to give this particular soap to the people that had been involved in the organization of such a wonderful event. Bringing people together from all over the world who are deafblind or who are working in a myriad of capacities with people with deafblindness. I also knew I would give it to people who greatly impressed me with the way in which their lives were intertwined with the lives of people who are deafblind. I took ten soaps with me and the people that I gave the soap to were visibly thrilled, impressed and touched by the story of the young man who had made it. And it hit home for me the impact Cameron has on all that meet him in person or through the amazing products he makes. Thank you, Cameron!

No comments: